SO2CleanTM is an innovative technology
Developed by Calabrian Corporation to produce high purity sulfur dioxide by burning sulfur in oxygen, rather than air. Using pure oxygen eliminates gas separation/operational complexities inherent with nitrogen and other inerts, significantly reducing equipment size/cost and the volume of gas that has to be conveyed. SO2Clean has been used to produce sulfur dioxide commercially for over twenty years. Why is SO2Clean superior to a Sulfur Burner? Superior Economics
- The installed cost of SO2Clean unit is less than half of an equivalent burner…less equipment and steel
Electricity costs are less than 1/3 of those of a sulfur burner
- Incoming oxygen pressure drives gas flow…no blower!
- No inert gases to convey or vent
Lower operational costs more than offset the additional cost of the oxygen
- Reduced maintenance costs…no refractory , no blower, no burner management system, no air drier
- No corrosion…SO2Clean runs in an excess of sulfur not oxygen i.e. no SO3 to make sulfuric acid to condense in the process.
- Significant reduction in cooling water and cooling water treatment costs